Author Topic: HELP: PDMX-107 to GE Spindle drive.  (Read 15409 times)

Bob at PMDX

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PMDX
Re: HELP: PDMX-107 to GE Spindle drive. RPMs
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
Pully ratios appear to have no effect on my actual spindle speed. Can't get my spindle to run
at anything less than 3600 rpm. The previous controller that I replaced with the PMDX-126 &
107, ESS & Mach3 would start the spindle much lower. 100 rpm as an example. The spindle
motor itself says it's capable of 24,000 RPM MAX, but think it only really goes to 18,000 RPM.

Is there a setting in the PMDX, ESS or Mach3 where I can adjust the minimum RPM to lower
than 3600 RPM? Tried everything I can see in all the settings all over Mach3. Won't budge any
lower than 3600 RPM. Maybe I am missing something.

Have you tried the PMDX-107 test mode and verified that it can cause your spindle to run at full speed and approx 30% of full speed?  I know we went though this early on in this thread, but that was when there were other issues with the spindle setup.  I would like to re-verify how the spindle responds to the 107 in test mode.

To enter test mode, press and hold the push-button on the PMDX-107 for at least 1 second and then release it.  The PMDX-107's status LED will start blinking and the PMDX-107 will output the maximum voltage on the Aref output.  Press the button again and the PMDX-107 will output approx 30% of full scale.  Press the button a 3rd time and the PMDX-107 will exit test mode.  Once in test mode, if you don't press the button again for (I think) 30 seconds, the board will automatically exit test mode.  See the PMDX-107 User's Manual section 2.6 (VSD Speed Calibration)  for more information.

Is the PMDX-107 test mode able to cause your spindle to run at 100% and 30% of full speed (at least approximately)?  Or does the spindle only run at high/max speed even when the PDMX-107 is outputting 30%?  Or some other behavior altogether?  By the way, if you look at the "PWM" LED on the PMDX-107 it will change brightness with the commanded speed.  So during test mode you should see the LED be bright after the 1st button press, then get dimmer after the 2nd button press, and then turn off after the 3rd press.
Engineering Hell: Everything's right and nothing works.
Bob's Corollary: If everything's right and nothing works, double check your assumptions.