Author Topic: EStop condition persists even if the E-Stop input is low  (Read 3514 times)

iserban99

• View Profile
EStop condition persists even if the E-Stop input is low
« on: March 27, 2018, 07:03:48 PM »
Hello,

I have a PMDX-424 with nothing connected but power, USB and J14 (with the jumper mounted between E-Stop and GND).
In Mach4-->Mach Configuration-->Input Signals, E-Stop is configured as follows:
Mapping Enabled = True
Device = SmartBOBUSB
Input Name = EStop
Active Low = False
In Diagnostic-->PMDX-SmartBOB-USB - Practical Micro Design-->Real-Time Status, the EStop software "led" is red, that means low.
If I remove the J14 connector, Mach4 displays "E-Stop condition!", and EStop software "led" in "Real-Time Status" window immediately turns green. The DS1 green led is blinking slowly and the red led is on. So far so good.

The problem is when I reconnect J14:
 - Sometimes, after I reconnect J14, EStop immediately turns back to red and "E-Stop cleared!" message is displayed. That is OK.
 - Sometimes, after I reinserted back the J14 connector, it takes 30 seconds to 3-5 minutes to clear the E-Stop condition.
 - Sometimes, (with J14 mounted) this EStop condition persists (with DS1 green led blinking slowly and the red led on), for over a half an hour, until I close the Mach4 application. After that, I restart Mach 4, but the E-Stop condition is still on. The following messages are recorded in History:
"PMDX: Communication status 'Sync'd to Device'
E-Stop condition!
E-Stop is in effect!  Clear the E-Stop condition."

Only when I switch the power (of PMDX-424) off and back on and restart Mach4, it starts correctly, with the E-Stop condition off.

What is wrong?

Thanks,

Serban

12strings

• View Profile
Re: EStop condition persists even if the E-Stop input is low
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 03:03:13 PM »
Simple, easy things to check first:

Do you have a short (1" to 2") jumper wire on J14 from EStop to GND terminals?  Or do you have an actual EStop switch connected?  If you have an EStop switch or long pair of wires, disconnect it and install a short jumper wire between the two terminals.

Then make sure the wires are properly installed in the screw terminal plug.  The PMDX-424 uses "rising elevator" style wire clamps.  This means that they must be fully opened (screw turned counter clockwise when looking down from above) and the clamp at the bottom of the wire opening.  Insert the wire and turn the screw clockwise (when looking down from above) to raise the clamp and hold the wire between the clamp and the top of the opening.  If instead you clamp the wire between the clamp and the BOTTOM of the wire opening it does not make a good connection (don't ask how I know :)

With a jumper wire correctly screwed into the connector,  you should be able to plug and unplug the J14 connector (say once every second or so) and watch both the PMDX-424's red LED turn on and off and the EStop indicator on the PMDX diagnostics real time display.  If that doesn't happen, for example the red LED remains lit or un-lit with multiple plug and unplug cycles, it may be a bad connector or an intermittent solder joint and you will need to contact PMDX for repair.  Try using a different 3-pin plug from the 424 board (one of the motor connectors or the relay connector).  If you still have the issue, contact PMDX.

If the red LED turns on and off as you unplug and re-plug J14, then go back and try the same experiment with your actual EStop wiring (if indeed you originally had an EStop switch wired to the board).

iserban99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »
I only have a short jumper wire between E-Stop and GND on J14.
The jumper is properly installed. It is fastened between the mobile and the fixed part of the clamp.
I've tried with a different 3-pin plug from 424 board (with a short wire between E-Stop and GND), but it has the same behaviour:

At first Mach4 start after the first 424-board power-up, the DS1 green led is blinking slowly and the red one is off. When I remove the J14 3-pin plug, the red led turns on.
After I reinserted J14 plug, DS1 red led remains permanently on and Mach4 displays: "E-Stop is in effect!  Clear the E-Stop condition."

Today it's getting worse:
Even after rebooting the board and Mach4, I did not get rid of the error. Mach4 reports the same message: "E-Stop is in effect!  Clear the E-Stop condition." and the DS1 red led is still on.
Last days the E-Stop condition cleared after few minutes or after the board power cycle. Now The E-Stop condition is in effect (of course, with the jumper between E-Stop and GND mounted), even I powered off the board about 5 minutes.

I've made another experiment: from Configure-->Mach...-->Input Signals, I've configured the E-Stop signal to Input5 (instead of EStop). The E-Stop condition is properly set/cleared (every second or so) with the message: "E-Stop cleared!" / "E-Stop condition!", but DS1 red led is still on! When I press Mach4 Enable button, it displays: "PMDX: Could not enable the PMDX-SmartBOB-USB, error 'EStop active, not allowed'"

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 11:32:16 PM »
I've made another experiment: from Configure-->Mach...-->Input Signals, I've configured the E-Stop signal to Input5 (instead of EStop). The E-Stop condition is properly set/cleared (every second or so) with the message: "E-Stop cleared!" / "E-Stop condition!", but DS1 red led is still on! When I press Mach4 Enable button, it displays: "PMDX: Could not enable the PMDX-SmartBOB-USB, error 'EStop active, not allowed'"

Section 4.10 of the PMDX-424 quick start manual says:
The PMDX-424 always responds to the E-Stop and Fault inputs on J14, regardless of any E-Stop configuration settings in Mach4.
So the PMDX-424's red LED will always indicate the J14 EStop (and fault) status. It does not matter how Mach4 is configured.

Looks like time to contact PMDX support.

iserban99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 02:16:26 AM »
OK, I will contact PMDX.

Thank you for your help.

Serban