Author Topic: PMDX-126, PMDX-107, ESS and spindle control using opto isolator  (Read 3660 times)

swood1

• View Profile
PMDX-126, PMDX-107, ESS and spindle control using opto isolator
« on: November 16, 2020, 06:17:16 PM »
Hi all,

I havent been on the forum for a while, I stopped working on my CNC conversion but with all the spare time I have been reinvigorated. 

Basically, I have a small CNC mill that I have been converting for using Mach4.  I have the machine running for the most part but have some queries I am hoping the brainy people can help with :)

Hardware/software:-
Boxford - vmc190
ESS Smoothstepper
PMDX-126
PMDX-107
Sprint 1220 speed controller
Mach 4

Settings are basically:-

PMDX-126
SW1
1 - closed
2 - closed
3 - closed
4 - closed
5 - closed
6 - closed
7 - open  (as I have PMDX-107 card installed)
8 - closed

I am not using either K1 or K2 relays at the moment.

PMDX-107
SW1
1 - off
2 - off
3 - on
4 - off
5 - off
6 - on

I have my motor controller connected to Fwd/Run, COM, Aref and obviously Aout and Agnd (0 - 10vdc).

I have all axis running, and my spindle runs (currently only one direction), however I have the following queries

1.  Is it best to use K1 relay for spindle?  If so how would I incorporate this with the 107 board?
2.  My spindle motor should run backwards.  What have I missed in setup to allow for this?
3. The spindle has a RS-306-061 opto isolator switch on it.  Can I connect this into my system?  I assume this would be back into PMDX-126 board. 

Thanks for any help/direction on the above.

Hope all are keeping safe and giving youselves lots to tinker with :)

Steve

12strings

• View Profile
Re: PMDX-126, PMDX-107, ESS and spindle control using opto isolator
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 12:44:45 AM »
Using K1 with the spindle:  Usually K1 is used to switch power to the spindle and/or spindle controller.  Configure the PMX-126 to require a charge pump and set k1 to be controlled by the  "CP OK" (charge pump OK) signal.  See the 126 manual.  That way, anything that causes the charge pump to stop also stops the spindle (including EStop on the 126 board).

Running spindle backwards: I don't have info on the Sprint controller (and the web site requires name & email to get it.  Typically there are a pair of terminals for direction.  These can be "forward" and "reverse", or they can be "run" and "direction".  Or they can be either based on some configuration in the controller.  The 107 can be configured for either combination.  Then wire the 107's "rev/dir" terminal to the corresponding terminal on the Sprint controller.  You will also need to configure parallel power 1, pin 14 as the spindle direction output signal inside Mach (and in the ESS configuration which is way above my pay grade).

The opto sensor:  Looks like it provides actual speed feedback (some number of pulses per revolution based on the belt/gear ratio).  If you want Mach to be able to determine the actual spindle speed, yes, you would connect that to one of the PMX-126's inputs.  Then configure Mach and the ESS plug-in to deal with that (again, ESS related configuration I have no idea about).  In mach4 this input signal is called "Index".  And in the Mach4 spindle config tab you need to set the "FeedBack Ratio" to the number of pulses per revolution, or is it 1 divided by pulses per revolution?

swood1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 09:14:08 AM »
Thanks for your feedback.  I think first step is to integrate relay k1 into the setup. I still need to connect E-stop but that should be straight forward.

Regards

Steven

swood1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 12:40:11 PM »
With regards k1 should i use this to switch the dc power outlet of my spindle controller? I would be worried about using it to actually switch my spindle controller itself on/off.

Regards
Steven

12strings

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 10:42:48 AM »
Typically this relay switches the input (AC) power to the spindle controller.  When yo enable Mach4, the spindle controller gets powered on.  When Mach4 gets disabled (by hitting the "disable" button or via EStop) the spindle controller is de-powered thereby ensuring the spindle stops.

Also note that the DC rating of the relay is much lower than the AC rating.

swood1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 06:35:02 PM »
Thanks for this feedback.

I have updated my wiring accordingly.

Steve