Author Topic: Using a masso optical encoder with 422  (Read 231 times)

LordVTP

• View Profile
Using a masso optical encoder with 422
« on: August 31, 2024, 06:52:17 PM »
Hello!

I'm attempting to connect a masso optical encoder (Sherline lathe setup) so I can enable threading and while the outputs on the encoder board itself are live and appear to function, No input is registered by the board despite being connected to the "A" "B" "C" terminals.   

Using diagnostics readouts, only thing I can see while turning the spindle is I see pin 13 turning on and off, which is very confusing.

LordVTP

• View Profile
Re: Using a masso optical encoder with 422
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2024, 05:41:57 PM »
Ok I can verify that pulses are going to he input terminals, but I get no response on them in the diagnostics read out and my encoder position never leaves zero.

The encoder outputs 10v as high, is that an issue for the boards inputs?

Steve Stallings

• Administrator
  • www.PMDX.com/Images/Avatar120.jpg
    • View Profile
Re: Using a masso optical encoder with 422
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2024, 09:07:45 AM »
The A, B, C inputs on a SmartBOB are designed for "TTL" signals in the 0 to 5 volt range. There is protection provided so a 10 volt signal from the Masso encoder will not harm the input, but I am not sure the input will respond.

In order for the A, B, C, input to respond the signal must be capable of producing a valid logic low signal of less than 1.5 volts and the ground reference of the encoder power supply must be connected to the GND terminal of the encoder connector of the SmartBOB. Be careful that there is no conflict in the ground systems.

You can use the Real-Time Input/Output Status panel provided in the SmartBOB plugin configuration tab in Mach4 to verify that the SmartBOB is able to read these signals.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com